It has been one of those days when WTF?? has been my first thought..
This being one of them. I am used to all kind of disturbances, but it always makes me wonder a bit, when I hear :” Booot-bo-boot-koot-ko-koo”, behind my kitchen window, because I do not have chicken! I do not have anything against of them, and since we live in countryside everything is possible. Hey, I have been running after neighbours horses, more than once, when they have managed to escape from the pasture!
But back to the chicken issue. It looked like on of my neighbours chicken. My main concern was our stupid young cat, Zorro, the trouble maker.He is now about nine moths old, and full of extremely entrepreneurs ideas , but no brains yet! Here is how “Zorro the brave” looks like..Sweet thing..
I did not worry about the chicken, but I thought cat is going to get it from the chicken!! This is one mean chicken, and Zorro is one stupid kitten. So I ran outside ,with the broom,managed to scare Zorro up in the tree, and chicken over the fence to neighbours side, where it belongs! Although, I really would loved to have that chick eating bit more slug eggs from my garden..
I also got phone call ,from a friend ,that she would need help on Thursday. I would need to teach cooking class, since her “guest” cook cancelled. I have been doing cooking lesson several times, and with this group it will be fun! I know it already 🙂 I will post pictures about it , later this week. It will be about 20 people from different countries. We will be cooking Finnish food.
Today has been busy day and I really did not have any time to think, what or how to cook.I manged to get milk and bread from the market, that was it! Back at home I started to think, what should I cook today? Quick look into fridge..I still had some Bärlauch (Wild Garlic) left.Roaming in freezer.. In freezer shrimps, and some left over risotto rice. Soooooo… I decided to made Risotto with Bärlauch and shrimps. Simple ingredients and you can make this vegetarian, if you don’t like shrimps use scallops. Here is the recipe:
- 30g butter
- 250g shrimps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 250g risotto rice (arborio)
- splash white wine or vermouth
- 1l vegetable or chicken stock (hot)
- large handful wild garlic leaves, roughly chopped
- 50g Parmesan, grated finely
- wild garlic flowers to garnish
- little cream
- Cook onion slowly in some butter and oil for about 10 minutes without colouring.
- Add rice, turn up the heat and cook until the rice is coated with onion, season and add alcohol. Stir until the wine has been absorbed.
- Next, add the stock until rice is just covered and turn down the heat. Maintain rice at a gentle simmer and keep adding stock once the last addition has been absorbed.
- After about 10 minutes add wild garlic leaves and stir into rice. Add more stock. After another 5 minutes, when rice is just cooked but has some bite, add the butter and cheese.(if you want this creamier,this is when you add dash of cream into risotto)
- Season and serve with a sprinkling of cheese and some wild garlic flowers if the fancy takes you!