Busy day today.I needed fast lunch for Kiddo and something that will be OK to eat when hubby comes late home from the work.I do not have time to cook two times today.
Since it is fall and pumpkins are all over I decided to make one of our families favourite soups. It takes about 30 minutes from beginning to end to prepare this soup. This is the basic Austrian style pumpkin soup. My soup ended up to be quite rustic looking because I used last spring onions from my garden in it.
This is what you will need:
½ kg pumpkin preferably Hokkaido
1-2 garlic cloves
600 ml vegetable or chicken stock
150 ml cream
- Heat butter or oil in a large pot and add chopped onion and garlic. Fry until translucent.
- Add cubed pumpkin and stir.
- Add vegetable broth and let cook until pumpkin cubes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add cream and spices
- Puree soup (blender or immersion blender).
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Transfer soup into soup bowls/plates and sprinkle with pumpkin seed and about 1 teaspoon of pumpkin seed each. If you feel very “decadent” – add a dollop of whipped cream (non sugared).
Beauty of this soup is that you can change the character of it with couple of simple tricks. I love using Hokkaido pumpkins because you do not need to peel them. Yep lazy me and other thing is;I love that intense orange colour of this sort of pumpkins 🙂
Instead of using cream you can use coconut milk.If you do this think of adding some cilantro,Curcuma,ginger and maybe chili into the soup.Maybe a sweet potato?
I also love curry in this soup.Or maybe little apple puree? Sometimes I add little fried bacon (Speck) on top; or serve it with Jamon Serrano. Parmesan Cheese tastes also very good on top of this soup. Feel free to experiment and,please,do tell me how did your soup taste like?
If you need to have this soup Vegan, use couple of potatoes and carrots in the soup to make it creamier or soya cream.