I have been going through some of my old Restaurant school recipes. By change, I found this wonderful retro recipe! We had wonderful cooking teacher,Pirkko, she was one of those teachers, with endless knowledge and experience,of old fashion foods and how to prepare them. She used to be “Kylmäkkö”(someone who takes care of preparing cold foods in restaurants). Every single lesson with her were absolutely wonderful!
Pirkko also had influence on my cooking style and to appreciation of old forgotten recipes. We are now a days always trying to find new and fancy recipes. Buy new cooking books, but hardly ever have a look in those good old books, that our parents used.
This is a recipe from seventies. Savoury Minced Meat Pie with rice and eggs. In Finnish we call it “Lihapiirakka”, meat pie. This pie is great for evening gatherings or just for dinner served with salad or as side dish for vegetable soup. My kid loves to take it with him to school as lunch.
So here you go,recipe for Finnish hamburger pie:
- 150 g butter
- 5 dl milk
- 50 g yeast
- 1,5 dl sugar
- 14 dl wheat flour
Or you can use ready-made puff pastry which I usually do when I do not have time to make the dough myself.
Make the dough: melt the butter and add milk. Heat the mixture to 37C and crumble the yeast into the bowl. Add the butter-and-milk mixture, and mix it until the yeast has dissolved. Add sugar, salt and flour and stir until it becomes a dough. It should loosen from the bowl sides. Cover the bowl, and let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
Mean while boil the eggs until they are hard.Let them cool down and start to prepare the filling
- 1 large yellow onion,finely minced
- 250 g ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic powder or small garlic clove finely minced
- 2 dl cooked rice (leftover rice is fine)
- 6 eggs from what 4 hard-boiled and chopped fine, 1 for the filling and 1 for pasting the pie
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp sweet bell pepper powder (paprika)
- 1 meat stock cube
- 150g Mascarpone cheese
- .Put little butter in your frying pan and start by frying the onions (and garlic, if you fresh garlic). Sweat the onions and cook until translucent. Add the ground beef and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked rice, meat stock cube and saute this mixture another 5 minutes. Season to taste with paprika powder,garlic powder, salt and pepper, and turn off the heat. Stir the mascarpone and chopped boiled eggs into the mixture.Let the filling cool down. When the filling is cool ,ix in one raw egg.This will help to keep the filling together after cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 225C. Roll out the dough so it fits in a 30 x 40 cm baking dish.(You will need two same size dough sheets.This will be really easy, if you are using ready made puff pastry) Put the dough into the dish so that the dough covers the whole dish.
- Add the filling on top of the dough. Spread evenly. Take the second sheet of your dough,lay it over the filling, and carefully tug and pinch the two dough sheet sides together. Take care that this is done well, otherwise while you bake your filling will come out.
- Mix the egg and milk, and paste your pie with it. Bake it on the bottom rack in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. After 20 minutes baking cover your pie with foil so it does not get too brown. I used some sesame seeds and parmesan on top as decorations.
- Let the pie has cool out a bit; cut it into pieces that are 3 by 15 centimeters.Serve with salad or with soup as a side dish.
If you have left overs from your dough, make decorations from them. (Have a look of my Coulibiak recipe )
Note: Filling from my Coulibiac recipe works fantastically in this too. if you would like to make vegetarian version use some chanterelle or other mushrooms instead ofminced beef.