It has been quite cloudy and rainy day today. Gray and gloomy. Typical Innviertel weather.. Only fog was missing. Sometimes fog is so dense that you hardly see half a meter ahead of yourself..On days like this, soup is something that I grave.
I am not very comfortable cooking Austrian dishes, but now and then goulash is something, which I like to do.It is simple and tasty.Family food! Warms you up and gets better more times you heat it up.
There are so many different kind of recipes around, and all of them are perfect, in my opinion. If you are vegetarian or vegan or you simply do not like red meat, leave sausage out,add more vegetables or try it with shrimps or chicken..Tofu even..Everything goes. In Austria, beef is used very often in this recipe.Whole soup is then cooked slowly over low heat, so that meat gets soft. Why I like to use floury potatoes is simply because they make soup thick.You do not need to use anything else to thicken up the soup.
These were my ingredients today. I had some mushrooms still in the fridge, that I wanted to use away. And since Kiddo is eating this, I left chilli out of the recipe completely.
I found in supermarket Spanish smoked paprika powder.Not often when you find something like that in backwoods of Austria. Huiiii..It tasted good in the soup instead of the normal paprika powder. We eat the soup with bread.Sour dough bread is in my opinion best.Hey and if you get really creative serve the soup inside of a loaf of the bread.
- 6 (500g) Wiener/Frankfurther sausages ( or any other sausage you like is just fine)
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed, sliced into strips
- 2 carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (I prefer using floury potatoes)
- 3 tomatoes, chopped ( tomatoes in tin are fine too,I used it this time)
- 4 cups beef/vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp smoky paprika
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp marjoram
- 4 tsp. caraway seeds
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or a cast iron casserole over high heat.
- Add sliced garlic,capsicum,carrots, onion,and cook, stirring for a minute or until the vegetables are getting slightly brown
- Add sausages and cook for a minute, stirring so that the capsicum does not burn.
- Add potatoes and beef stock.
- Add tomatoes,caraway seeds,marjoram and paprika powder. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to low, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.