Asian foods,in all forms are one of my favourite things to cook. They are tasty,helthy and fast to cook, at least if you have done little preparations beforehand you start to cook. My intention was to serve this with zoodels,those curly noodels from zucchini, but due to me being idiot, I forgot to buy Zucchini. So bye bye good intention of avoiding carbs! Never the less the taste was awsome and exactly how I remembered it to be. Next time with zoodels 😂
This is a really fast recipe to cook. Pop your rice in rice cooker, and when the rice is ready,so will your chicken be too. If you do not like cellery, leave it out. I like doing the marinading day before because the marinade makes chicken really tender. So here you go,my Cashew Chicken recipe:
- 3 boneless & skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small bell pepper, cut into length wise slices
- 4 spring onions,sliced
- 2-3 celery sticks,sliced
- 4 dl cup unsalted and roasted cashew nuts
- 1 dl sugar snap peas
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 gloves of garlic,finely choppd
- 1-2 tablespoons ginger finely chopped
To thicken the sauce later,you will need one tablespoon cornstarch mixed into 2 dl water, one tablespoon honey, one teaspoon of teriyaki sauce.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together.
- Pat the chicken meat dry with paper towels and then marinate with the sauce for 15 minutes. (Or overnight,taste will be more intensive and the meat will get tender)
- Cut all your vegetables ready
- Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the chicken meat until the color turns white or half-cooked. Dish out and set aside to wait.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of cooking oil into the wok and add in the bell pepper,cellery,and onion.
- Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the bell peppers and add the chicken meat back in.
- Add in the Sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is cooked and well coated with the sauce. Add salt to taste, if you like.
- Add in the cashew nuts and sugar snap peas,and do a few quick stirs. Dish out and serve the Cashew Chicken hot with steamed white rice and cilantro.
Note: If you want some kick into this dish,add chili peppers. I usually have separate dish with chopped up chilies on the table from where everybody can add chili according to their taste.