I have been racking my head for Easter Brunch ideas. It should be something reasonably easy to make but same time pretty and have spring spelled all over it. Last fall I made simple quiche with Parmesan crust and topped it with tomatoes from my own garden. The taste was amazing and texture great,so I tired pretty much the the recipe with this one. It worked! I Am so Happy with the result!
Decoratong your quiche is the key here. Use whatever edaple garden flowers you have like marygolds, pansies, goose flowers,dandilions etc.
For the crust:
- 200g spelt flour
- 150g butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp powdered caraway
- 200g Parmesan cheese, grated fine
- zucchini sliced thinly lengthwise
- In a bowl, stir together the flour,caraway and grated pecorino. Add the butter, and using a pastry blender,fingers or 2 knives, cut them in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise. I used mandoline.
- Butter the baking form. I used 20*25cm loose bottom pie form. Stick the sliced zucchini around the inside of your form edges. It will stick just fine.
- Using floured hands, pat the dough into your baking form. Put your form in fridge to cool little while you make your filling.
Note: This dough can be stored, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated,up to 2 days. And it is fantastic crust for savoury pies.
For the filling
- 250g Mascarpone cheese
- 2 buffalo milk Mozzarellas
- 200g Parmesan
- 2dl heavy cream
- 3 eggs handful of wild garlic leafs ( you can replace these with fresh baby spinach or with garlic chives)
- 2-3 asparagus stalks
- In bowl mix mascarpone,cream,goat fresh cheese eggs,and pepper to even consistency.
- Throw in wood garlic and cut asparagus and give it a stir.
- Take your pie crust out from the fridge,pour batter on top of it,rip mozzarella balls in pieces,distribute evenly over your filling. Grate your parmesan and sprinkle on top.
- Bake in 200°c about 30-40 minutes.
For decorating your Spring Quiche you will need various salad greens,edible flowers,asparagus and spring vegetables. Some quail eggs too. Arrange them on top of your quiche and serve.
Happy Easter everybody!
TIP: To peel your quail eggs without hassle put some cold water in marmalade jar,give it a good shake and peel the eggs. Peel comes off without hassle and clean!