I love grilling the fish. This time my trusted fish dealer from Vöcklabruck had Whitefish. Oh boy..First time in all these 14 years that I have lived in Austria when I saw it. And of course I bought it.!
We love to eat spicy foods. I guess it is something which stuck with us when we moved away from Thailand. I love the herbs and spices what Thai kitchen uses. This is a fusion recipe of Finnish and Thai,hope you enjoy it:
This is what you will need:
- 3 tbs garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbs cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional; you can replace this with fish sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbs canola oil (or olive oil)1 good size whitefish(or snapper, cod, catfish or tilapia)
- Combine garlic, cilantro, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and oil in a food processor or blender and grind to a smooth paste. Transfer to a large zip-lock bag and add fish. Turn gently to season well.Take care that the seasoning also goes inside of the fish. Set aside for 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to 1 day.
- Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle with chili and cilantro and set aside.
- Coat a grill rack with cooking spray and preheat the grill.Remove fish from marinade and place it in grill rack. Stuff some cilantro,lime and chili inside the fish and also place couple of slices of lime on the grill rack.Lay your fish on top of it.Close your grill rack and cook until done, turning once, about 10 minutes per side.
- Arrange on serving platter along with a small bowl of sauce, if using, to spoon over the fish. Serve hot or warm with the Cucumber-Mango salad and rice.
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dl white sugar
- 1 dl rice wine vinegar
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 dl chopped cilantro
- 1/2 mango
- 1 dl roasted and chopped cashew nuts
Toss the cucumbers with the salt in a colander, and leave in the sink to drain for 30 minutes.Meanwhile prepare mango. Peel it and cut it in matchstick size slices. Whisk together the sugar and vinegar in a mixing bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cucumbers, sliced mango,jalapeno peppers, and cilantro; toss to combine. Sprinkle chopped roasted cashew nuts on top before serving.