Today’s recipe is so simple but really good. I will have my wine club ladies over next weekend for wine tasting and I have been racking my head over what to serve? It has to be something light and fit into the wines I will be serving. I also would like to stick with the seasonality of ingredients available hence again ASPARAGUS. Surprise surprice 😁
You will need 2-3 asparagus per head, depending on the thickness of your asparagus. My asparagus dealer had really thick ones this time. They were about 3-4 cm diameter. For my taste bit too thick to boil.
I guess you all know the recipe where green asparagus is wrapped in Parma ham? Well this is a variant from that.
- 300-400 g white asparagus
- 1 package of filo dough
- 100 g butter
- Some Parmesan cheese
- 1 slice of Jamon Serrano per asparagus
- Black pepper from the mill
- Peel your asparagus
- Wrap peeled asparagus in Jamon Serrano and set aside
- Take your filo dough and roll it out. (Be fast because fill dough drys really fast and after that starts to crumble and it will be really hard to handle.)
- Place your asparagus in the middle of the filo sheet,fold and roll. Place it on oven sheet. Continue with the rest of your asparagus till you are done. If your asparaguses are thin you might want to half the filo sheet.
Melt the butter,paste every asparagus roll with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in 200c till golden brown. Baking time depends on how thick your asparagus is. Mine took 30 minutes .Serve with salad or as side dish.
NOTE: If you want to make vegetarian version of this, leave ham away but before you wrap the asparagus inside of the fill dough, sprinkle some olive oil over the asparagus,blank pepper and salt. Then close the dough roll. Otherwise proceed same as with the recipe above.